Thursday, October 13, 2011

I need to do what!?!


So, I have already decided that I will probably not be doing a qualitative study for my dissertation. It's not that I don't like qualitative studies, I just don't know if I can sit down with 50-60 people and conduct interviews. If you have not already guessed, I'm not much of a people-person. I know, I know . . . I'm in education (which might actually explain it . . . ). I don't consider kids as people. Just kidding! Students do not make me as nervous as adults do. And then I find out that I have to record my interviews! I hate being recorded. You can ask anyone who knows me well. Both schools that I worked in had a strong media program and I always refused to be interviewed or speak on camera. I just don't like it. I have hard enough time speaking in class! Ugh! But, there is still two months left. Maybe this class will change my mind . . .


So, I guess I have to record my interviews. But, do I have to include the transcripts of these interviews in my paper? In the appendix? I cannot imagine typing out transcripts of 60 one-hour interviews. Wow! I give people who have done it or intend to do it a lot of credit for that. I don't mind typing out the transcripts, though. Of course, I don't have to do 60 interviews for this project. It's having to hear my voice on the recording that will bother me. =D! Okay, I'll stop whining!


I do want to thank Ivy for helping me with my Interview Protocol. I am attaching it below so that you can comment on it if you want (I'm attaching a condensed version without the page breaks between the questions). I added probing questions in the event that they are needed. Like I've said in previous blogs (and you've noticed in my proposal), I just need to make sure I do not add in my own thoughts regarding the topic. I guess the recording will come in handy. It will make me more conscious about what I say. Sometimes that is needed. I often find it difficult to keep my opinions to myself (can you tell?).

I think I may also have difficulty with "encoding" my project report. As an English major, I've learned that voice is very important in literature. Apparently, it is also important in academic reports. In my quantitative research classes, I have always chosen to write my papers to an audience that the assignment was geared towards -- usually a school or school district. Thus, I normally tried to write my paper in terms that a person without a statistics background could understand. I'm not sure who my audience is for this project because it seems so open. I would like my audience to be education administrators (at the state K-12 level), but if I am mimicking a dissertation, then my audience would be more "academic" -- not to imply that DOE administrators are not academic. You know what I mean . . . there is a difference between K-12 education and academia. So, encoding my paper will be a challenge. I'll want to sway towards one direction when I know I should be heading in the other. I have to make sure I am consistent in my voice throughout the paper.

I liked the fact that Creswell outlines the structure of a grounded theory paper. It gives me a better idea of what my paper should look like. I needed this, especially since grounded theory is so new to me. I am so used to have a theory or hypothesis drive a research that having the findings of my paper be the theory instead is unfamiliar territory. The questions regarding teacher evaluation is what actually drives my paper. I think it's harder to start from scratch -- not having a theory or hypothesis -- than it is to start with a proposed "recipe" . . . in terms of the writing. In terms of the research, however, it may be easier to build starting from laying the foundation than it is to break down and rebuild . . . I guess I'll find out for myself.

I have lots to think about and I need to start conducting my interviews very soon. Please let me know if you feel my questions need to be changed. Thanks!

And, as a reminder, I will not be in class next Thursday (October 20). If anything is due on that day, I will be sure to submit it prior to the 20th. Thank you!

Interview Protocol.condensed.docx

No comments:

Post a Comment